Saturday, April 25, 2009

April Art Day!!

We made candles and Mother's Day cards. I used vanilla fragrance (needed to use a lot more I think!) along with this stuff. There is candle gel dye but I thought food coloring would work. However duh, water based and oil based don't mix! It did leave cool looking colored balls in the candle, but also made it bubbly and more opaque. Live and learn. We started by mod podging precut paper/magazine letters onto our glass container. The kids suprisingly did great at this. I helped with the letters, but they did the dot's all by themselves. I then had them color a picture for their mom that showed how much they love her and painted the stars on the front of the card. While they did that, I painted the top layer of mod podge over their containers.

While those dried by our ceiling fan, we read the story of the Good Samaritan and talked about how we should be nice to people at school even if they are different or mean. We had great conversation and each child said they would do what God wants them to and be nice to everyone! Then we had pretzels and OJ and finished up the cards. Glue stick and magazine letters were a little difficult so I pretty much just finished them off! They went and had Play Time!
Poor Zane. We need another boy... Here are the finished products! The wicks need trimmed by the way. I have burned A and Z's and they didn't spark or blow up so thats always good to know... Yes. It says Rock Star Mom! Avery decided to draw the world and say I'm the best mom in the world. I think I'll go ahead and agree! Zane drew sun's...just because!



3 comments:

Shelly said...

That is really neat!

suzspeaks said...

I want to come for art day!

Summer said...

I am so sad Mia keeps missing this. NExt time she is not leaving town! These are adorable. You are so talented.