Saturday, July 23, 2011

Joplin-My dad's old home...

Earlier this month we went to visit my mom's side of the family and decided to drive through Joplin (The kids stayed at my aunts). This is all we saw out our windows... I was amazed at the artwork by the High School. Someone carved animals out of the tree stumps
This is the house my dad grew up in. We drove everywhere he rode his bike. There was an entire roof chillin in the grass just to the left (West)of this house! We passed it before I got a picture.The tornado went East down 20th street heading right toward his old house. One block before the house is when the tornado veered South, missing it... and hitting here... Not pictured, but I could not believe how big trees were that were just ripped up and laying over roots and all. This was one very sad drive... My cousins husband was working at the hospital when it hit. Thankfully he was OK! This is the path it took. You can click to enlarge if you so wish...Thinking about you, Joplin.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Thank you for the personal tour. So sad. And so scary. Glad all your relatives are ok.

Gena said...

How quickly we forget. Thanks for those photos Kayla. I'm glad your Dad's childhood home was spared. That has to be a special memory for him to drive past and see.