Thursday, September 1, 2011

Decorating/Painting The New Home

For some reason, people assume I'm great at home decorating because I'm "so creative."
Well, I promise you I'm not! There is nothing more overwhelming to me than decorating a home. I'm impatient and just end up throwing stuff together so I can be done. I start many projects but get frustrated/overwhelmed and move on to something else.

Just to prove to you all how unamazing I am at decorating...here is some proof!
I have painted our previously blah looking living room. I tried to brighten it up with a very light "popular grey" but decided to try something crazy and have a blue accent wall! We got rid of the hideous entry way wallpaper and painted it green. It looked very choppy, unputtogether, and nonflowy until I came across this awesome clock at hobby lobby. It kinda helps tie it all together, but I'm still very unsure of how this looks. Since taking that picture, I have updated my shelves a little (on one side!) but I'm worried it's starting to look like a gumball machine with all these bright colors?! On a good note, I've finally replaced a picture of me and my sisters from high school with a picture of my nephew! He has not made it onto my shelf until almost turning 6. He should feel special though, the others still haven't made it yet! haha. I'm working on it!! I also replaced our 4 year old family picture with one that is only 2 years old. Progress.I tried hanging up something in our entry way, but Wes thinks it's a flop. Is it? Would it be better if I painted the picture frame red, orange, or that same blue color? Or, should I take it all off and start over?! Because I was sick of looking at empty walls, but didn't have a clue what to do, I decided to brouse Uppercase Living and possibly went overboard (pictured above and below)?!
(Craigslist never lets us down. We got ourselves a TV the kids can actually see now. Wes just needs to get the electric outlet behind the TV working so the ugly hanging cord can be hidden!)More Uppercase Living. Would you believe I still have one more to hang up?!
This was a Ross find this week. I don't know if it looks good, but I no longer have an empty corner. This room has changed a little. We weren't crazy about the blue curtains and I wanted burnt orange. Wes said he had found some, but they are more of a brickish color!! It'll work, I guess. Yes, that was in fact a random side table with an outdoor flower pot under it. I have no idea what to do with it.

Now on to a project that is VERY SLOW GOING, but hope to have it completed sometime in 2012!! It's my craftroom/my little sister's temporary closet... I love the rug though!! Here's the other side of the room...
Just in case you feel like your decorating/unpacking/organizing skills are terrible. I've now made a tag for my House Updates to prove that you are not alone and in fact I may be worse!!!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I think decorating a house takes a long time. I've always been told and now believe to buy things you LOVE. They will usually tie together without trying too hard. :) Good luck!!