Month 4 of Building
Things have slowed down quite a bit because I couldn't make decisions, but we did finally finish some stuff this month! First, we finally picked out the counter tops. The black was easy. The color was black pearl and at $40/sqft installed and over an inch thick slab, we couldn't find anything better.
(If you have found better, please feel free to pass along that info to me for future use!!)
However, I didn't want black over our dark cabinets, so I was on the hunt for some white counter tops. I reallllllllly loved this grey quartzite (upper right). It's kinda got the marble look but more durable. The only problem was that it was over $100/sqft! So, I tried searching for quartz. I found a few different ones that looked the most like marble (bottom right), but those were also over $100/sqft. Erg. I really wanted something that was mainly white (since dark cabinets), but not solid white (because I wanted to camouflage spilled food!). So, after spending 2 weeks going back and forth, I decided to go with this granite (bottom left). It was mainly white and I loved it. It's called Siberian White and at $50/sqft, it was more reasonable. I also thought my backsplash (top left) looked great with it, so I pulled the trigger and moved on.
For the bar area, we found some live edge wood planks. I'm very excited/anxious to see how this will turn out. Wes wants this to be his project. It's hard being patient, but I'm trying!
It also took me a little too long to decide on kitchen hardware. I knew I wanted cup pulls, but it turns out Wes has a strong hatred toward them. I bought one to install (so he could fall in love with it) but the raised panel in the middle is too skinny to install it there. I prefer the pulls to be in the middle of drawers. I could put them on the top, but if Wes doesn't fall in love, and we end up going with the same handles, those would definitely need to be in the middle and not the top...leaving two extra holes in our drawer. So, I gave up. It will get done eventually.
Wes also wanted to take on the pantry as his project.
I think he did an awesome job. Bad picture, but great pantry!
We just need to sand, texture and paint it. Then add trim around the door and stain it to match the cabinets. The kitchen is 100% useable and so I am trying to be patient about all the unfinished projects that Wes has claimed as his. These include the bar top and the back of the bar having faux stone installed. Building a panel to cover the back of the island and installing floating shelves in between the two windows on the right. Then we need to order several fake doors from the cabinet place, two more refrigerator cabinets with glass doors to go above the other ones, and one more upper and lower cabinet to go on the left of the pantry. We also need to decide on a range hood and kitchen table light. Then backsplash, baseboards and crown moulding. Not much, right!? I'm trying to convince myself of that...
The other big thing we finished is the upstairs walls! I will be busy priming and painting this week along with ordering carpet!
Wes wanted this project, but we needed to compromise. We have extra furniture being stored in all of our rooms that really want to go to their home upstairs! It was stuff we were going to get rid of until we realized this room was happening. So, its definitely furniture and clutter overload right now and I just don't mentally function as well in that environment. Plus, when we made a list of all remaining projects that Wes wanted to do...well, it was going to take around 12 months to finish them all since he has a full time job and two busy kiddos. I compromised by saving him the stairs area to drywall!
He installed the door and started working, but the pantry pulled him away for a moment. He took out our old HVAC unit that was where this big space is, and we plan to install a platform here where the new water heater will be, with an access door at the landing of the stairs. Very excited for this to be done. Our water heater works, so we aren't in a hurry, but It's a tad hazardous and it's located in the playroom, so I'm ready for it to be done! Finishing this area is next in line.
He installed the door that goes into the storm shelter. He's becoming a pro door installer.
We could have had the entire house done by now, but I'm all about letting Wes take on some things. I only insisted on having a functioning and useable house as quickly as possible. After that, it's all about compromise. If we plan to fix up and rent/flip houses, I am totally cool with having Wes do these projects on our house. We get better with practice and we also learn what was worth doing ourself and what wasn't. By the end of next month, I'm hoping all the major projects will be done. We will be redecorating and organizing and doing yard work for the rest of our lives, but I will be able to deep clean the house and it wont be dusty five minutes later because of a project. That's my goal anyway!

2 comments:
It is SOOOO nice when the dust is gone! I agree, some things are definitely worth paying for but compromise is good. Wes can come install doors at our house if he wants. We have four or five that need to be changed out.
I will give you my husband once hes finished his list over here! Especially if it helps you move over here quicker! Ha.
Post a Comment